Thursday, November 1, 2018

Résistez! "Votez correctement, Madame!"


The French follow the news from the States even if this is not reciprocal for the most part; I observed this is two different places of business this week in Paris. I needed to mail a few “thank you” cards to my cousins in Germany and pick up more post card stamps, so I stopped at our local post office yesterday, Oct. 31st. Located on rue des Goncourt in the northern end of the 11è arrondissement, it is one of the friendliest places I have been to in France! I went in and stood in line and soon it was my turn. As has occurred all three times I have been there, it was a person I hadn’t seen before, and she was very helpful. (Why is there such a rotating cast of characters at the post office?) After allowing me to choose from several different possible stamps for Germany, she brought out the cubist Mickey Mouse post card stamps and the Lucie and Raymond Aubrac “Résister” stamps. I took two Mickeys and three résistance stamps, muttering that the latter were what we needed aux USA right now. The clerk started nodding her head and giggling. I said I hoped the elections next week would show some resistance, and she said she did too!



Then, on Thursday I went to the wonderful organic wine shop, Paris Terroirs, in my neighborhood at 68 rue Jean-Pierre Timbaud (11è) for a good bottle of red wine to take home to the States. The shopkeeper was very knowledgeable, not just about wines. I told him I was returning to the States the following day in order to vote on Tuesday. He asked me if that was in the "mi-termes" and I said "Oui, et c'est urgent que ça change la politique aux USA." He agreed and admonished me, "Votez correctement. Madame!" I told him not to worry, that most certainly, I would! The wine made it home unscathed and the midterms represented a big blue wave! Vive la résistance! Et le vin!

No comments:

Post a Comment